Re: D.nidiformis

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 07:48:12 PST

Date:          Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:48:12
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: D.nidiformis

Dear Frank et al.,

> As far as I know,D.nidiformis is the name given to D.sp Magaliesburg.

There are at least two species of _Drosera_ in or near Magaliesburg,
S Africa, viz. _D. burkeana_ and _D. madagascariensis_. At least some
of the material called "D. spec. Magaliesburg" in cultivation is
certainly a variant of _D. madagascariensis_.

_D. nidiformis_ is a species incertae sedis. I have recently seen
material from Debbert himself (in Johannes Marabini's collection),
which looked quite unlike his description and the material (belonging
to _D. dielsiana_) I studied several years ago, (erroneously?)
assuming that it was authentical material of _D. nidiformis_.

The true (?) _D. nidiformis_ is clearly related to _D.
madagascariensis_ but it differs from it (i.e. also from "D. spec.
Magaliesburg p.p.") by its much shorter but still distinct petioles
that are incurved, so the lax rosette becomes distinctly concave. As
this feature cannot easily be attributed to introgression by _D.
burkeana_ or _D. dielsiana_, I would not assume that _D. nidiformis_
is of direct hybridogenic origin.

_D. affinis_ from tropical Africa is somewhat similar to _D.
nidiformis_. But as _D. affinis_ has not been recorded from S Africa
yet (and I did not yet have the opportunity to compare both taxa
thoroughly with each other), I am somewhat reluctant to unite the
two. I therefore will change the status of _D. nidiformis_ in the
database, tentatively accepting it as a distinct species.

Kind regards
Jan