Re: Intro of CP,

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 07:11:20 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:11:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Intro of CP,

> > Interesting comment, however, I really feel that many CP are just not found
> > in certain areas because of human intervention as opposed to preference.
> > Take humankind out of the equation, and I'm sure many CP would (ex Sarrs)
> > would migrate into all suitable habitat within reach.......(snip)

> Carl,
> Do you know (or does anyone else?) if there's a record of certain CP
> existing in NJ (or other states for that matter) a few centuries ago
> that aren't here now because of human intervention? ...If so, it seems to me
> that such plants
> SHOULD be reintroduced. It would be fascinating for someone (I have no
> time...) to check into this possibility.

I think it can be fairly well documented that the ranges of almost all of the
Sarrs. are shrinking. I have seen some of the early publications and some
range maps that provide type localities, particularly for more southern
species, and the ranges are now much smaller. In the case of oreophylla and
some of the rubra "subtypes" the type locales no longer exist. There are
probably a couple of reasons. While I believe that human activities are quite
capable of interfering with Sarr. populations, I believe it is also true (and
more the case) that these plants are simply not very aggresive. Seems to me
this is due both to their need for relatively special conditions, their form of
seed dispersal and probably several other factors.

As for introducing or reintroducing Sarrs., obviously, you should not introduce
a species onto another's property without their permission; but on your own
property or with permission of the owner, why not? After all, home depot,
Wal-Mart and every commercial nursey in the world is actively promoting the
introduction of non-indigenous plant species every time they sell a chinese
maple, a cactus, an african violet or any of a thousand other plants.

Tom in Fl