Re: CP hunting in New Caledonia

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Oct 31 1997 - 15:13:09 PST

Date:          Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:13:09
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: CP hunting in New Caledonia

Dear Laurent,

> I'll be visiting the large island of New Caledonia from Dec. 9 till Dec 31.
> This will be my second trip to this wonder island. I already know quite a
> few sites of CP's over there, but if anyone is interested, or knows anyone
> interested, in hunting CP's and orchids over there with me, please get in
> touch with me. It will add some fun.

You could perhaps try to find _Utricularia novae-zelandiae_ at the
Baie de Prony (type locality of "U. canacorum"), if you have not done
so already. The locality is interesting as it is apparently the only
occurrence of a Pleiochasia outside Australia/New Zealand.

The endemic cps are of course _Drosera neocaledonica_ and _Nepenthes
vieillardii_. The latter is quite variable. I have seen specimens of
an almost saprophytic plant covered under leaf litter (collected by
Prof. Sauer from the University of Tuebingen). It was in some
respects similar to the plant you described. I do not think that it
is taxonomically distinct from _N. vieillardii_. The specific growth
conditions may have caused the changes in its proportions.

If you have time for non- carnivorous hunts, you could look for the
fabulous _Parasitaxus ustus_, a mycotrophic gymnosperm that
parasitizes on another gymnosperm via its root-fungus. Unfortunately,
I cannot give you precise location data for this (strictly
protected!) plant. There are too many other interesting endemics to
list them all here. But you will certainly enjoy the trip, anyway.

Kind regards and bon voyage!
Jan