Re: possible solution to spam

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 08:07:47 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:07:47 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: possible solution to spam

Hi list,

> >the list or not. There are some problems with this, mainly spammers can
> >easily 'join' the list.
>
> The list server could be configured to require postings to come only from
> subscribers, that's built in already. The problem is that this then means
> that you couldn't send mail to the list except from the system you
> subscribed from. Since many folk will use other systems to send to the list
> when travelling, this would make their life difficult.

Thank you Cyril and Carl for pointing this out. :) The use of different
ISPs and 'mirror' accounts is exactly why it is so difficult to eliminate
spam messages. At this point, I can't think of a better solution than
using a 'key' in the subject line. This should eliminate nearly all the
spam. We would of course have to remember the key, but if the list
administrator posts a weekly reminder, that shouldn't be too much of a
problem. Our mail already gets bounced back if we don't include a subject
line so it didn't take too long for us to figure that out. Just my
thoughts on the matter.

Paul Burkhardt