Re:Fertiliser in Nep pitchers

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 1997 - 23:18:11 PST

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 02:18:11 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Fertiliser in Nep pitchers

>Has anyone tried putting a few drops of dilute fertilizer solution
>directly into the pitchers,

Hello Perry and other Nep growers,

Yes I have. I allow the foliar feed solution to spray into the pitcher,
purposely spraying into some of the older pitchers. I use very dilute
Miracid- the little spoon side of the plastic measure that comes in the
Miracid box. I use one of those little spoonful per gallon of R.O.
water. Overall, its part of the foliar feed, so I cannot say if the
pitchers only contribute to the better growth-I think its sort of the
overall treatment.

I've heard that if you overdo the pitcher fertiliser, you will "burn up"
the pitchers. Basically, they age quickly and grow nasty gunk inside
(black algae or fungus).

I would not use fish emulsion on Neps. My feeling is it would promote
too many possible pathogens. Just a hunch-no observation.

Until later

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida