Drosera binata problems, BA CP meeting this week?

From: Matt Ouimette (ermine@netscape.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 12:12:28 PST

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:12:28 -0800
From: Matt Ouimette <ermine@netscape.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera binata problems, BA CP meeting this week?

Hey folks, it's me again.

First, I have a problem, I think. I have a drosera binata (dichotoma
giant) that seems to be growing pretty well. It put up 4 new stems in
the last 3 weeks, but there are a few oddities. First, the three stems
that have unfurled have only ONE bifurcation, rather than 3 (one in the
center, two more to make 4 tendrils in all). It had 4 tendrils on each
leaf when I got it. the 4th stem -seems- to be about to branch
properly, but it hasn't uncurled yet, so I can't be completely sure.

In the meantime, the three that only branched once have fallen under
their own weight! Now they lie horizontally, making a mess of the
terrarium. The 4th stem hasn't uncurled, but I fear that when it does,
the weight will cause the same problem, especially since it looks like
it'll have twice as many trap tendrils.

Am I doing something wrong? has anyone seen this happen before?

Second, I asked earlier if I should allow it to flower, it's definitely
putting up a flower scape now. Should I let it, or snip it?

Last but not least, I'm still wondering about the meeting of the bay
area CP society. As far as I know, the meeting is supposed to be
thursday, but I still don't know where or exactly when. Does anyone on
this list know? Please? :)

Thank you!

p.s. On the good side, I got a VFT from Home Depot a month or two ago.
I just brought it into the office to sit in the terrarium, since it
didn't seem to be doing very well on the windowsill. Today I repotted
some of it, since it's actually several tiny plants, all intertwined.

I've actually got 8 or 10 VFT seedlings now, plus a pot of
hopefully-sprouting seeds. I'm going to have to give them away soon,
I'll have so many! All for $3.00, what a deal! I should have enough
plants to actually get some good results with at least a few of them, I
hope. :)

--
Matt Ouimette, Tech Support Weasel, Netscape Communications Corporation
ermine@netscape.com       415-937-2841        http://help.netscape.com/