RE: planting Sarrs in the wet

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 21:33:26 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:33:26 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: planting Sarrs in the wet

To all,

I have been growing all my Sarracenias plus hybrids outdoors now for
several years. Unless your lowest winter temps go below 0f for an
extended period I wouldn't worry. Since you will grow them planted IN
the ground they will be able to take wetter conditions better than
having thier root systems in an isolated pot. Just make sure your plants
rhyzomes are strongly established with a good root system going before
the colder and wetter conditions hit. I learned my lesson the hard way
several years back when several of my newly aquired sarrs bit the dust
in winter. Waited until September to plant 'em-DUH!

By the way Andrew..where I live (Cleveland, Ohio) is colder and
drearier! I haven't seen even a partly sunny day in a week. You can kiss
the sun goodbye come early November and not see it again for weeks! Old
Lake Erie isn't that nice either, last year at this time we had a 5 day
lake effect snowstorm that dumped 46.5 inches at my house and 68.9
inches 9 miles east of me in Chardon, Ohio. Can you say "roof
cave-in's"?!!!

Mark Pogany
markp@crscms.com