Re: water pH

From: Aaron J. Hicks (ahicks@rt66.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 21:14:59 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:14:59 -0700 (MST)
From: "Aaron J. Hicks" <ahicks@rt66.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water pH

        I think this subject has been hashed out pretty well (along with
the excellent caveats about the unreliable nature to pH), but I would like
to add one bit: orchid growers for years have added phosphoric acid to
water to lower pH. It would add a tiny amount of phosphorous to the water;
compare to most other acids which, although doing no harm, don't really
add anything in terms of nutrient value.
        Just a thought. :-) The FAQ on phosphoric acid is at:
ftp://ftp.nmt.edu/pub/orchids
        and is called (appropriately enough) phosphoric.acid

        Enjoy. :-)

        -AJHicks
        Director, Orchid Seedbank Project
        Socorro, NM