Re: Nepenthes fertilization quandary

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 01:54:24 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:54:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes fertilization quandary

Mark Pogany wrote:

> ...Anyway I've read ALOT about whether or not neps grow better when
> fertilized. Has anyone on the list actually done analysis on nep
> soil in the field?

I asked the same question on this list a year or two ago, and it seems
no one has done any tests in the field. At least, that's what I gathered
from the zero response. It's a really good idea, I think, to go into
a Nepenthes habitat with your backpack bristling with instruments for
taking all sorts of measurements on the soil. The soils are often
characterized as nitrogen poor, and rich in minerals and alkaloid
compounds (see the book by Anthea Phillips).

> ...Can anyone who has done a controlled experiment with rooted
> cuttings from the same parent to see if any benefits result
> please post a message concerning this....
> I'm wondering if nice big juicey petstore crickets are better than
> artificial fertilizers!!!

I've heard of wonderful results that growers have obtained by
dropping insects into the pitchers of their Nepenthes. I also
have heard that some people fertilize their plants occasionally.
Miracid is often cited, sometimes as a foliar feed and other times
as a root-only feed. I've even heard of African violet food used
on Nepenthes seedlings with apparent good results.

Lots of experiences out there :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf