Re: Hoax Email Viruses

From: steve steve (stevesteve@rocketmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 03:50:37 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:50:37 -0800 (PST)
From: steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hoax Email Viruses

Hi All

I work for a large computer company supporting (among
other things) a major anti-virus product. There are
lots of viruses out there.

Some of the latest have an annoying habit of
infecting documents such as Microsoft Word documents.
These make use of the *macros* and hence tend to be
referred to as *macro viruses*.

Our email on the listserv uses text information only
and as far as I am aware it is NOT possible for you
to infect your PC with a virus when you receive our
CP email. The only way you will get a virus from
email would be if you receive an email which has an
attachment. The attachment could be a program file
with a virus or a MS Word-type document infected with
a macro virus.

Even if you receive such an attachment you will only
become infected if you detach or open the attachment
itself.

The good news? there are some virus scanning programs
out there which will go into your email and check for
viruses without opening the attachments... clever
stuff.

For more info about viruses etc try looking at the Dr
Solomons web site:
http://www.drsolomon.com
or for info about these hoax ones try:
http://www.drsolomon.com/vircen/vanalyse/va005.html

Cheers
Steve

ps. I dont work for Dr Solomons or support their
software nor would I endorse any particular product
nor does any thing I type here represent the company
I work for etc etc blah blah