Darlingtonia seed and viability

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 06:54:00 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:54:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia seed and viability

As many of you know, Darlingtonia seed are difficult to keep viable for
long periods. I liked to propose why that is, suggest a solution, and
get your input. The reason for Darlingtonia seed not maintaining
viablity for long periods is that the seed cannot tolerate drying out.
I got the idea from trillium seeds. They also are notorious for lossing
their viability. Viability is maintained longer if the trillium seeds
are kept damp.

Being kept damp is consistent with people's statement that they have
planted Darlingtonia seed in the fall or early winter with seed
sprouting immediately if warm enough or in the spring if the weather is
too cold.

So I wonder if keeping Darlingtonia seed damp and cold will prolong its
storage life, say in a refrigerator until the following spring?

David