Dr Lau's Pings

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 20:59:27 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:59:27 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Dr Lau's Pings

> Unfortunately Dr Lau is very effective in finding the plants but left the
identification
> or description of new species to others - I am not sure who
> (if anyone) is looking at these in Australia. Regarding the
> Pico de Orizaba plants I have not seen this plant in the
> flesh though I suspect it may be the P.moranensis which
> occurs in that area - remember that this is a very variable
> species. Are there any Aussies out there who know a thing or
> two about Mexican Pings who could comment?

The main person in our society (VCPS) who collects Pings is overseas, but
Pico de Orizaba is believed to be a form of P.moranensis and is cultured as
such, just like P x sethos. It just varies in the colour of flowers and a
little in the leaves.
Mine, which is currently in flower, grows in pure sphagnum that is keep just
moist enough to keep it green but not enough to encourage the moss to grow.
It has filtered or reflected light in a well lit position and I use a open
plastic a bag to maintain humidity. It is usually grown by others in a
sheltered position within a hot house where it is protected from water
droplets falling on it.
To my knowledge no-one has done any official work on it and so it is merely
propaged under its unofficial name.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Australia Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768