Re: More on Pings and Seeds

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 11:10:25 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 19:10:25 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More on Pings and Seeds

> Dear Alessandro,
>
> you have now received contradictory advice from me and Phil.
> You will certainly get the seeds to germinate on peat and
> sand as Phil suggests - I guess he has fewer problems with
> Sciarids than I do. I also find that the perlite/vermiculite
> mixes do not support mosses as well as peat and sand which
> can over grow the seedlings. I guess you will need to
> experiment to determine which works best for you.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Loyd

Loyd and Allesandro,

The reason I prefer peat/sand to germinate Pinguicula seeds is I find
the tiny seeds often get lost in the relatively large particle sized
perlite. Yes, the mossy growth can be a bit of a pain but the seedlings
should be big enough to move on before this gets to be a real problem.
As for the Scariad flies - no I don't find them a problem. If I did I
guess I'd either install a few mantids or sometihng large and sticky -
either a big forked leaf sundew or some yellow sticky traps.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is to sow onto powdered tufa.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson