Nep Media

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 20:46:21 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:46:21 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nep Media

Perry Malouf wrote:

So, here's a general call to nepenthes growers. Please post the
recipe for your potting mix if it's _different_ from sphagnum
and perlite.

I use the following mixture (all ingredients are by voulme):

40% pine bark chips (this stuff is easy to aquire here and comes in
large bags, used for mulching beds)

20% chopped osmunda fiber

10% peat moss

10% large-grained silica sand.

10% long-fibered sphagnum moss

 5% perlite (horticultural grade)

 5% horticultural charcoal

This mix drains well and seems to work great for both my lowland and
highland plants. The last time I potted up some neps I took a pH reading
from the above mix. It came in around 5.0-5.5.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com