Re:Nep. Soil

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 20:39:44 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 23:39:44 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nep. Soil

Greetings Nep. growers,

Trent here back in the office days after posting questions about
Nepenthes soils. Very interesting responses!

Here is my current potting mix for Nepenthes (strongest growers: alata,
mirabilis, rafflesiana, ampullaria, merrilliata, truncata, hookeriana,
insignis, many hybrids)

perlite-two grades, aliflor (clay pellets), pumice, seedling grade fir
bark, sphagnum moss(long fiber), Canadian sphagnum peat moss, silica
sand. Unfortunately, I don't measure the components out, but mix by
"eye" or "feel". Best to describe as fluffy, and rapidly draining.

My highlanders are grown in this mix, but they grow much slower because
of summer heat. This time of the year, here in south east Florida, we
are now into nice cool nights and warm days. All Neps enjoy this,
lowlanders and highlanders alike.

I'm going to look into this laterite issue. Thanks Mark Fisher and
others who commented on this.

Until later.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida