Catopsis spiking

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 1997 - 10:08:46 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:08:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Catopsis spiking

Hi folks,
        My C. berteroniana is AT LAST sending up a flower spike. What do
these need to actually flower? I have had other members of the genus
Catopsis spike but I have not actually seen flowers. Whether this is
because they aren't or because I do not know what I am looking at I do not
know. I never really worried as they seem so happy to pup that I didn't
worry about replacing them. The C. berteroniana however is VERY important
to me and so I wish to do right by it. What advice can you give me
please?
        I have it in a greenhouse, South facing with minimal shade.
(corrugated fiberglass and two layers of 6 mil. poly, none removable)
Light levels can be low as any one here just south of Seattle will attest.
No lights are available to augment this unfortunatly, though I can be
flexible if I know what I am supposed to do. Temps are 50-55' at night
and 80-90' by day. Humidity ranges from 90%+ to 40% roughly, mostly on
the higher end at this time of year. I do not feed it, though it does
catch flies by itself quite adequatly.
        Does any one know if this plant will pup at all?
        Thanks for all the help.
        Andrew