RE: gemmae of pygmy drosera

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 09:09:41 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:09:41 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nhurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: gemmae of pygmy drosera

Hello Oliver,

Consensus seems to be that gemmae can be preserved in the fridge and
that smaller gemmae (occidentalis, pygmaea) keep better than large
gemmae (scorpioides).

>From my own experience, if the gemmae are kept totally dry they shrivel
and perish within a week. If the gemmae are kept very wet they start to
grow then die or are attacked by fungal infections. I moisten a bit of kitchen
roll with Chinosol, wrap the gemmae inside it then put paper and gemmae
inside a sealable plastic envelope (zip-loc bag?). I have managed to keep
a few gemmae looking green and healthy for nearly two years this way.
However the longest I have managed to keep gemmae this way and then
grow them is just over a year - I think gemmae treated this way need a very
gentle reintroduction to the outside world.

Regards, NigelH

[Warning! 43 lines of binary inclusion deleted by listproc.]