Re: Flowering D. capenis

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 18:40:53 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 20:40:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Flowering D. capenis

Hi Matt,

> I've heard the stories of d.capensis spreading everywhere, but.. I
> would
> really like to let them flower, as it makes the terrarium look that
> much
> more alive - I have a d.adelade that's been flowering for months now.
>
> So here's the question - Should I let them flower? If I do, should I
> snip it before it starts dropping seed, or can I put a baggie over the
> flower stalk and catch the seeds, so I'll have more if I manage to kill
> the ones I have now?

I also enjoy D. capensis flowers but don't want seeds floating around
everywhere. I let the plants flower but snip off each flower when it has
finished. If you want to collect seed, you can wait until the fruit has
turned black and then very carefully snip it and harvest the seed. I've
never tried bagging it so I can't offer too much advice there. Good luck.

Paul Burkhardt