RE: ceph regeneration

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 02:59:23 PST

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 05:59:23 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: ceph regeneration

>>Boy, can I second this motion! In the last 2 years this miracle has
>>happened with my cephs too! Back in 1996 one of my ceph pots was somehow
>>misplaced while I was doing some cleanup work around the yard. I later
>>found it on a shelf in the garage totally dried out and dessicated. I
>
>How does a dormant Cephalotus look? Is it possible that a totally dried
>out look
>means the Cephalotus is in dormancy or do I have to hope for the miracles now
>mentioned here?
>
>Bye, Marcel

In my experience ("a dormant Cephalotus"), it looks like crap. Dead and
dessicated leaves and traps waiting for the bin.

If you look under the surface of the medium, you may quite often find a
plump, sometimes rooted, rhizome. If it is _brittle_, it is probably dead.

If not: Clean it off, removing all dead material and put it in a sterile
prop box (I just bury mine in an enclosed pot of whatever CP is handy until
they start up a leaf) and, with moderate humidity, you should get at least
another plant in a month or two. Don't try to force it. Don't expose it to
heat.

Kind Regards,

Rand