Ping in the washing up

From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 11:04:48 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:04:48 -0800
From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping in the washing up

     Hi list

     Just thought I'd post you with something wierd that happened this
     year, I wondered if anyone could explain it to me or just add this to
     the wonderful list of various recipes to feed your plants.

     3 years ago when I moved from London to Lincolnshire, some of my
     collection moved with me, and as a stop gap, my wife and I stayed at
     my parents place for a while before moving into our own place. I took
     all my plants with me except for one little P. Moranensis.

     The little plant thrived fairly well until the beginning of this year
     when it started to look a bit on the deadish side (at least not at all
     well).

     One day during the Summer, my mother accidentally knocked the plant
     pot from the kitchen windsill where it lived, into a bowl of hot water
     that contained a high concentration of Fairy washing up liquid. My
     mum snatched the pot up and put it back on the sill - and basically
     waited for the poor thing to meet it's maker.

     It didn't die, quite the opposite, it went mad, I have never seen
     growth in a plant become so pronounced (especially after being
     pronounced dead!). It is now going into it's hibernaculum, but is
     still at least double the size of it's former growth.

     This is not an advert for Fairy, I just wondered if there was a
     suitable explanation for this?

     Thanks list for a great year

     Leigh