Re: terraria

From: wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 05:07:16 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:07:16 +0100 (MET)
From: wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: terraria

NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu wrote
> Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp> wrote:
>
> >Could anyone offer advice on how to prevent a tropical-fish aquarium, =
> >used as a CP terrarium, from developing an unpleasant-smelling bottom =
> >layer?
>
> You could try placing the pots on plastic eggcrate above a shallow layer of
> water. Add physan to the water to keep it from going stagnant or growing
> algae. Clean water will be much less likely to get nasty and anaerobic than a
> layer of gravel or sphagnum. ....

Just keep the water level low and constant and give the micro environment the
time to stabilize. I've never had problems except when I pour in too much
water at a time. Raising the water level will drown more peat and sphagnum
moss wherein the anaerobic decay will thrive for a while.
That won't happen unnoticed :-)

Regards, Wim.

----- wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl -----