Xerophytic Nepenthes?

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 07:28:22 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:28:22 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Xerophytic Nepenthes?

Awhile back there was some discussion about Nepenthes that could tolerate
dry growing conditions. General concensus was that dry-tolerant
Nepenthes don't exist, and to an extent this idea is probably true, however
my experience with various Nepenthes species and hybrids in my
classroom may prove to be of some interest.

I am growing several dozen Neps in various stages of development right in
my classroom-- so my 8th grade science students can keep an eye on
what's going on. Most plants are in terraria of one kind or another--
several glass aquaria, a Klima-gro (R) mini-greenhouse, etc. Space
limitations dictated that some of the plants be left out of the super-moist
habitats-- and just occupy an area near the west window outside of the
containers. The lucky plants inside their minigreenhouses enjoy
humidities in the 80 to 100% range-- as measured with a cheap
Wal-mart hygrometer.

Since September I have been misting my Neps several times a day--
telling myself that this would maintain humidity in proper Nepenthes
ranges-- even for those not "under glass". Imagine my surprize when I
hung another instrument in one of the Neps outside of the indoor
"greenhouses", and it read 30%!!! That's dry!! Even heavy misting only
raises the humidity a few percentage points! But here's another
surprize-- the plants don't seem to mind!!

For example-- I have a mature N. x ventrata about 3 feet tall (it's tied
up) with several side branches. All of my Neps, including this one, spend
summers outside-- in the fruit trees. I believe this hardens them off to
an extent-- so they can adapt a bit better to less-than-ideal conditions in
a dry home, or, in my case, classroom.

In these dry indoor conditions, I never expected any pitchers to develop.
Wrong again. This x ventrata just produced its first upper pitcher, with
several more in various stages of development.

Others that are doing just fine in 30-40% humidity (with misting, don't
forget!) include a red speckled alata, a maxima, another hybrid-- possibly
x mixta, and some x coccineas. I have absolutely no doubt that as long as
the plants are properly hardened off, many other Neps would also do as
well. BTW-- I just checked the humidity-- 35% "in" my x ventrata,
and it's doing just fine.

If any doubters (or others, of course!) find themselves in Eastern
Wisconsin, I invite you to visit my school and take a look for yourself. I
also invite comments or questions from others. Does anybody else have
similar experiences? Please share with the list! I think many people
might be pleasantly surprized to find out how adaptable these plants just
might be! At least some of them CAN be grown with no more specialized
equipment than a spray bottle!

For those interested, the mix I use is orchid bark mix, pearlite, milled
peat, and shredded dry sphagnum-- approximately equal volumes. I water
and mist with RO water with a little Superthrive (TM) mixed in.
Sometimes I mix in a little Tetra Blackwater Extract tropical fish
spawning aid, or I add some of the water from the bottom of one of my small
artificial bogs. None of this may be doing the plants any good, but it makes
me feel like I'm doing something!

Have fun!

Lance

--