Nepenthes of Borneo Book

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 05:22:18 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:22:18 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes of Borneo Book

My copy of the Limited Edition of Charles Clarke's Nepenthes of Borneo
arrived last Friday. Although as an amateur, I am not qualified to write a
review, (I'll leave that to the experts), I would like to echo recent
comments in the CP Digest concerning this book. It is, indeed, a work of
art, and IMHO belongs in every Nepenthes lover's library. The plant
descriptions alone are valuable and informative, but when coupled with the
superb photography, the result is stunning, to say the least. (The first
thing my students noted today when I showed them the color portraits of
various Nepenthes species and hybrids was "They're all in the WILD,
too!") The identification key, information on Nepenthes ecology,
information about the island itself, etc., all nicely round out the Bornean
Nepenthes story. It's a perfect companion piece to Pitcher Plants of
Borneo by Phillips and Lamb. I could not be more pleased, and, I admit it,
just like a spoiled kid, I did not have the willpower to put it under the
Christmas tree till December 25th like my wife wanted me to do, and now
I'm on a guilt trip. At any rate, this book is a real treasure.

I was away from the computer for an extended time this summer when the
Jebb and Cheek revision of the Nepenthaceae came out, so I missed my
chance to buy it. If anyone would like to part with theirs, please contact
me privately. I would love to buy it.

Best Regards,

Lance

--