Re: diet for venus fly-traps

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 09:39:11 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:39:11 +0000
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: diet for venus fly-traps

On 21 Dec 97 at 13:32, JAnge22821 wrote:

> I have just joined the mailing list for carniverous plants after having
> purchased 5 venus fly-trap plants as well as some bulbs (venus fly-trap). I
> have been interested in carniverous plants all of my life and have previously
> tried to maintain sundews and pitcher plants (with minor success). Is there a
> suitable diet for the the venus fly-traps in the absence of abundant live
> insects? How often do these need to be fed? Also, any hints on starting the
> bulbs?

Suggest you first go to the CP list's web pages at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home/ (hope I got it right - you should
all know the address anyway), and read the abundant information about
Venus Fly Trap and other CP.

First just don't worry about feeding it! It will grow just fine
without, and perhaps a bit better with an occasional insect in a
trap, but it isn't anything you need to fuss about.

Second, VFT doesn't really have bulbs. It does have a sort of
'crown', which some people call a bulb, formed by the bases of the
leaf-stems, but there isn't much substance to it. You would be better
acquiring plants in growth in Summer, as they aren't supposed to grow
in Winter (of course you might be in the Southern Hemisphere, but
it's a fair assumption that you are not!). I think I'd plant them at
the surface in peat or peat/sand mix - don't just use 'soil', or
'dirt' as I believe people outside the UK might call it :-) and keep
moist in a cool place (maybe 7-10C) until Spring comes round.

If you have done OK with Drosera and Sarracenia, then Dionaea is
likely to do well in the same conditions.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden