Re: beginners question: Nepenthes

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 10:10:19 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:10:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: beginners question: Nepenthes

>From Tsuh Yang Chen,

> is it possible to grow nepenthes in an apartment without enclosing them
> or do they really need high humidity? what is the light requirements for
> nepenthes, full sun, bright or shady conditions?

It is possible to grow some nepenthes in household conditions without
enclosures. I suggest that you try some hybrids and perhaps some hardy
species such as N. alata. I've found that bright light, and a constantly
moist medium brings about the best growth and pitchering. Daily misting
might be needed to help acclimate the plant. Good luck!

Paul Burkhardt