Re:Nepenthes pathology

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 20:09:53 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 23:09:53 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes pathology

>I was wondering if anyone could point me to a reference for diseases
and
>"symptoms" of various problems applicable to nepenthes species.

Boy oh boy. It would be great if there were such a book. Unfortunately,
the horticultural aspects of Nepenthes is a bit of an arcane matter. As
far as I can tell, Neps seem to be plagued with many of the same
diseases as orchids, and then a few more. Pest control (insects, like
scale or caterpillars) is easy compared to what seems to be infections
from fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Many of these problems are tied to
environmental stress. Stress lowers resistance to disease. I must admit
to having the occasional plant-otherwise healthy-suddenly go belly up
(pitcher up?) All the other plants around it are doing fine. Very
perplexing. Love to hear other Nepenthes growers input on this topic.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida