Re: freezing seeds (Refrigerater or Freezer)

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 09:17:55 PST

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:17:55 +0000
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: freezing seeds (Refrigerater or Freezer)

On 24 Dec 97 at 17:21, Justin Arthur wrote:

> My dad says that I should keep the seeds of some various CP (Dionea,
> sarracenia, and Drosera) in the Freezer when I think that they should
> be kept refrigerated. Which one of the ways is more sensible?

Most people say just the 'fridge, and not the freezer. Though the
first time I sowed Sarracenia, I didn't know better and put them in
the freezer for a while with no ill effects.

It's important to be clear whether you are talking about before or
after sowing the seed. I expect that seed will have a longer
shelf-life if stored dry in the fridge, but 'stratification' in the
fridge to promote germination must be done after sowing, with the
seed wet. A few weeks in the fridge seems good for Sarracenia. I'm
not sure about Dionaea - I suspect that sowing as fresh as possible
is the real way to get it to germinate. And Drosera just seems to
germinate whatever you do with it, so probably don't bother with
fridge treatment.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden