Re: Pine Needles for Increasing Acidity?

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 09:05:00 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 12:05:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pine Needles for Increasing Acidity?

>Sarracenias are grown in nothing but pine straw(needles) with about an
inch of sand >sprinkled on top. I have used it in for years in
in-ground bogs and children wadding >pools as my containers.

Hi Joe,

I'm going to try this in a new outdoor bog so I thought I would quiz you
to make sure I understand this simple concept.

I'll probably run the pine straw through a mulcher, add it to the lined
bog, and top it off with acid sand. It's truly that simple? How much
settling takes place? No other ingredients? This just amazes me. Do
you see any advantages over the standard milled sphagnum/sand mix.

David