N. coccinea cultivation

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sun Jan 04 1998 - 22:18:01 PST

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 01:18:01 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. coccinea cultivation

In CP digest 1317 James Aldridge wrote:

Someone recently gave me a large N. x Coccinea in a hanging basket. It =
has
sphagnum moss of the top, but I haven't looked deeper. My greenhouse is
=
still a
month or so away from completion. Does anyone have "home" cultural =
suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

N. coccinea is an old Victorian hybrid popular in glasshouses around the
turn of the century. Its rafflesiana x ampullaria crossed with
mirabilis. This plant is from lowland parentage and enjoys higher temps.
I keep mine inside a 50 gallon tank under twin tube flourescents with a
14 hour photoperiod. Make sure your potting mixture is open and acidic.
Growing temperatures within a range of 65-85f work best for this plant.

Much success,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com