Re: D.graminifolia

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 19:32:02 PST

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 12:32:02 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.graminifolia

Hi Dave,

        Your question on how to induce flowering in D.graminifolia is
interesting. Before going into any details, first you have to keep in mind
that the type plants on the Caraca (= Ka-RA-ssa) Highlands flower in late
summer, which corresponds to March in Brazil. This is the wet season. A small
number of plants will then flower again in September, which is at the end of
winter and height of the dry season.
        At all other D.graminifolia populations I have studied (Diamantina,
Grao Mogol, Itacambira, and Botumirim, further north from Caraca, all in the
state of Minas Gerais, southwestern Brazil) the plants flower around
September. I'm not sure if there is an ideal size for it to begin flowering
at. I've seen rather small plants flowering in the wild on numerous occasions.
        I can think of two factors involved in the induction of flowering
in this species: soil humidity and photoperiod. For D.graminifolia from
Caraca, I would say photoperiod is the important factor, since in March
(when they flower) the soil has been wet for many months and has not yet
started to dry out. As for the more northern populations of D.graminifolia,
I'm not sure which of the two possible factors is more important, if any.
        So first you would have to find out where your plants came from.
If you don't know, I could send you more info on how to tell the Caraca form
apart from the otehrs based on morphology. If the plants are too small though,
it would be difficult to tell apart the Diamantina form from the Grao Mogol/
Itacambira/Botumirim form, the latter being very distinct when in flower
(bigger, beautiful flowers!) and also having differen shaped styles, stamens,
and seeds.

All the Best,
Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan