Re: Growing conditions of clipeata

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 03:52:18 PST

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 07:52:18 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing conditions of clipeata

Hi Johannes

>It is hard to say how the conditions have been before the fire there
>(by the way, I do not believe, that the all the plants have been
>stolen by collectors, as Clarke write in his book; the end of these
>plants was the fire). I saw many chared trees and only less protecting
>Vegetation and no more clipeata. On the right photo of my homepage you
>have a few over the landsscape near Sintang nearby the location of
>clipeata. Nep. clipeata grew there in gras and mould on outlets of
>rock. Siliceous means the kind of rock which Kelam consists of. There
>was a lot of running water but I don't know if it was running on the
>roots. I don't think so, because running water will wash all soil
>down.

Was this fire that you speak of a natural event?

In Canada as, indeed, most of the world in certain biosystems, fire is an
event that enables regeneration of endemic flora and fauna (bugs are the
first entry into a burn zone).

Is it possible that N. clipeata is adapted to, or has an adaptation for,
regular or sporadic, fire events? I think of our Canadian plains and
prairie grasses and shrubs, or Australia's outback "bush" where fire is a
necessity for germination and re-establishment of dormant species, when I
ask this question. Perhaps there is no applicable comparison, here?

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick