Drosera sp. "Ceres" South Africa

From: Eric Green (saharris@iafrica.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 11:40:50 PST

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 98 19:40:50 GMT
From: saharris@iafrica.com (Eric Green)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera sp. "Ceres" South Africa

Greetings all,

Today Eric Green, Gunther, Kathy and Dieter Eitz and I had a wonderful
and successful field trip to the Ceres area, in the moutains NE of Cape
Town around Ceres. Our main aim was to find an interesting evergreen
Drosera, allied to D. aliciae, and given the field name D. sp. "Ceres".

About 10 years ago Gunther Eitz and Thomas Carow (Hi Thomas)
undertook fieldwork in this area and discovered this red rosetted Drosera
which they recognised as different. Today Gunther refound the site, easily,
as it turned out.

The sundews, to 4 cm across, have spathulate leaves with retentive
glands on the oval lamina only; the broadly triangular petiole is
hairless. The leaf undersurface is moderately covered with white hairs.
No open flowers were seen today on the slender scapes. This variant is
allied to D. aliciae but the leaf shape is a little different (more like
that of D. dielsiana), and it is not vigorous for only 3 to 4 leaves of
each rosette are ever bedewed and capable of trapping insects. The
flower structure has not yet been studied. It grows with D. capensis,
U. bisquamata and sphagnum moss.

Not far away we had the pleasure of seeing a few plants of Roridula
dentata, and, on the edge of a large dam, an abundance of D. capensis and
U. bisquamata. In a zone of constant water seepage over rocks D. trinervia
rosettes were actively growing.

What a brilliant day.

Cheers,

Robert