Re: Use of vermiculi

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 06:36:49 PST

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:36:49 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use of vermiculi

>According to some people you could use sand and vermiculi to aerate the
>soil composition whilst the vermculi could retain some water.Is this
>vermiculi made from rice?if so would it not induce the growth of moulds?
>can somebody tell me please.
>
>Ernest.

Vermiculite is made from a mineral and, as such, _initally_ is not prone to
fungus or molds.

The downside is that the stuff degenerates and compacts after a few months
and is a great host to algae and other slimes, eventually degrading the
quality of the medium (in _my_ experience) that you use for CPs.

I avoid the stuff, entirely, for any kind of plants. As a suggestion, try
substituting equal amounts of perlite and milled (brown) peat for the
amount of vermiculite that you use when you make up your planting medium.
Incorporated with sand, I find this an excellent medium for growing
Cephalotus.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson