Re: Sarracenia growth habits in the wild

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 06:37:50 PST

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:37:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia growth habits in the wild

> Hi.
>
> For those of you that have seen Sarracenia growing in the wild[Carl,
> Tom, Dave, Peter, etc.], can you tell me how often their roots penetrate
> down into the waterline?

In the wild you see a lot of variety. However, my experiences suggest
that for the most part the plants are definitely "waterlogged". In many
cases the waterline is only about two or three inches below the surface,
and of course in the Okefenokee swamp, S. minor and S. psittacina are
just about aquatic (well okay, not quite).

Your experiences (cut for brevity's sake) with sitting Sarrs. in water are
similar to mine and other growers - the quality of the plants is great but it
gets to be a real pain.

 The good news is that plenty of people have very good results using the
 approach you want to use. Begin with good quality materials, - be careful of
 the kind of peat you use - and get it good and wet. I'm not even sure you
 need perlite, I would probably use a peat/sand mixture. Someone else should
 comment on this.

Then be prepared to spend all your time weeding out all the grass, dandelions,
oak tree sprouts, etc. etc. that find their way into your pristine bog. You
don't get out of any of the work, the tasks just change!

Tom in Fl