Re: Greetings, questions and comment

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 00:57:00 PST

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:57:00 +0100
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greetings, questions and comment

Dear Jack

Welcome to the CP list.

> ... I think this would be a great chance to study cp biology.

I hope you will share your questions, thoughts and results with the
list.

> I am a chemist and have always been interested in the interelationship
>
> between between chemicals and living things, as in chemical
> communications between species.

I am (was) a chemist too, but have never practised it (I studied further
to become computer scientist). When I subscribed to this list one year
ago, someone (hi Niels) asked for a way to convert tap water into
nutrition free water. As you will know, as a general rule, CP's are best
watered with rain water (or distilled or Reverse Osmosis (RO) water). I
know that oxalic acid is used to precipitate chalk. I've been trying to
calculate the optimal pH of the solution with the least amount of chalk,
but the knowledge I need is lost a long time ago. I found out that if
one keeps adding oxalic acid to a solution, the solubility increases
after a certain point. Can you (or any other active chemist on this
list) help ?

Kind regards
Wim