UK Darlingtonia Pest/E-mail Problems (off-topic)/Lovely Windows (off-topic)

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 03:44:34 PST

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:44:34 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nhurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: UK Darlingtonia Pest/E-mail Problems (off-topic)/Lovely Windows (off-topic)

After the recent storms subsided, I decided it was time to harvest this
year's crop of Darlingtonia seed. To my disgust, I found that every
flower had been 'glued' into a ball, the innards eaten away, and the
shed skin of a winged beastie was on the outside where the culprit had
emerged and flown away. Is there such a thing as a Darlingtonia
sawfly? Does this happen in the wild, or is it purely a European pest
taking advantage of a new opportunity?

We are having e-mail problems again - I am assured by our mail
administrator the the problems are at the demon end, and everything
sent to me should get here eventually. If I owe anyone an e-mail,
please be patient.

At a cactus society meeting yesterday, I heard someone say 'lovely
windows'. I hunted for the culprit, prepared to inflict grievous bodily
harm on the Microsoft stooge, but found someone examining a rather
nice Lithops. (I am assured by a Botanical Greek expert that Lithops
is the singular).

Good Growing, NigelH