Re: Drosera Binata germination

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 20:50:39 PST

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:50:39 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera Binata germination

Peter,

In CP Digest 1332 you wrote:

What are peoples experience in germinating this species? I got some seed
few months ago. It took about five weeks to germinate. Some seed I
planted
last Sunday, has just germinated

I think, though I'm not positive, is this species requires a short
stratification. Last winter I received a small pack of binata seed from
Dean Cook. It was immediately sown in a pot in one of my plant tanks
under lights. After 1 month I only had two seedlings. I transplanted
these to a different pot then used the leftover peat/sand for mix in
other pots.

Around the first of April (fool's) all my indoor CP were relocated
outside on my patio. The first part of this month in Ohio is like riding
a rollercoaster, one day its 75f, the next you've got 6" of snow in your
driveway. There were some nights when temps got down to the low 30's.

By early June many of my pots of VFT, Drosera, and Sarracenia were
EXPLODING with D. binata! I'm still pickin' them out now.....

If your seed is still fresh germination might not be a problem. Try
sprinkling the binata seed on a damp piece of paper towel, roll it up,
and stick inside the fridge for a few weeks. After that, remove it and
sow on 50/50 peat-sand, then set in a well lit place with high humidity.

Hope this helps,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com