Re:Mystery maxima

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 18:32:08 PST

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:32:08 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Mystery maxima

Trent here on Richard Brown's computer. Saw a new Nepenthes being
wholesaled out through the usual channels. It is coming from DeRoose,
and is their third mass produced Nepenthes clone. It is sold as N.
maxima, which it most definitely is not. It is a hybrid. I was looking
at some of these plants today trying to figure out what it might be. It
looks more like a mirabilis hybrid than a maxima hybrid, in fact, if
there is any maxima parentage, it would be a grandparent.

Anyone out there in CP-Land have any knowledge as to the origin of this
clone?

Also as a word of warning to beginners with Nepenthes: sometimes Neps
are sold at chain store garden centers with the pitchers dried out
beyond recognition. If you encounter any N. maxima plants like this you
may not be getting the species you think. While this clone is
attractive, and a great beginners plant, it 's no N. maxima.

Nothing against the above mentioned nursery, but I wish they would keep
the facts straight.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida