Re: Anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 07:11:00 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:11:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia

Hi Mike,

> Now, I'll add a superficial observation from my outdoor bog. The lone
> S. purp purp f. heterophylla seems to be in better shape than S. purp
> purp and S. purp venosa that are growing in the same outdoor
conditions.

>>Perhaps your anthocyanin-free plant has a better established root
system,
>>or is in a better corner (micro-habitat) in your bog? Difficult to
say
>>with a sample size of one! :-)

I agree absolutely about the sample size of one. That's why I said
superficial observation. This is an intriguing question, though. Why
does the anthocyanin-free form predominate in a few locations in the
northern US but not anywhere else or with any of the other species of
Sarr. Is it because the anothocyanin-free form gives the plant an
advantange in the north but not anywhere else? What's that advantage?
Just musing, I'll repeat my earlier point about better energy
production. Or maybe, the anthocyanin gives plants better tolerance to
heat in the warmer southern US and that's why the sourthern Sarr species
don't exhibit populations where anthocyanin-free forms predominate while
in the cooler northern US, the presence of anthocyanin is not as
crucial. I'm just speculating. Anyone got some facts that could be
used to support or refute this idea or offer another explanation.

David