Re: Anthocyanin free

From: Michael.Chamberland (23274MJC@MSU.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 09:11:00 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 98 12:11 EST
From: "Michael.Chamberland" <23274MJC@MSU.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Anthocyanin free

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
>

> I agree absolutely about the sample size of one. That's why I said
> superficial observation. This is an intriguing question, though. Why
> does the anthocyanin-free form predominate in a few locations in the
> northern US but not anywhere else or with any of the other species of
> Sarr. Is it because the anothocyanin-free form gives the plant an
> advantange in the north but not anywhere else? What's that advantage?

Well, having hiked around a good deal in prime habitat for this plant
(if it really has a "prime habitat"), I would say it doesn't predominate
where it occurs. There are a few bogs which have a high proportion of
anthocyanin-lacking plants. But the number of red-flowered plants is also
high, and plus or minus equal in number to the white-flowered forms.
(this is just a very general count based a couple bogs which may actually
be the same bog system.)

What I find interesting is that the red-flowered plants growing in these
bogs have very little red pigment in their leaves. This suggest that
ALL the Sarracenia in these bogs have reduced anthocyanin production.
I have never seen white-flowered S. purpurea in a population of "normal"
red-flowered plants. I bet this can happen, but perhaps as a result of
different genetic controls than exhibited in the bogs I've seen. I should
point out though that my observed sample size is small, and perhaps one! ;-)

As for the advantage of lacking anthocyanin? I don't think there needs to be
an advantage. It only needs to have no disadvantage. It fact, the variant
condition probably needs only be NOT lethal for the plants to survive!
The plants might not even be pollinated and may not set seed... if more
white-flowered plants are spontaneously produced from red-flowered
parents (heterozygotes?), then white-flowered individuals will be
found.

Michael Chamberland