Re[2]: D. binata germination

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 14:22:20 PST

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:22:20 +1000
From: Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: D. binata germination

     I have not really checked it out systematically, but I wonder if warm
     soil temperatures are more important. My observations are that fresh
     seed will germinate soon after falling and stored seed will germinate
     without specific stratification treatment. Compare with the infamous
     D. capensis!

     Ross
     Canberra

_________________________________ Author: L235 <L235@aol.com> at
Internet

Peter Lowden asked about D. binata germination times:

I found that D. binata seed I planted from New Zealand (thanks, Len!) last
year germinated fairly quickly (perhaps a bit slower than you reported ... a
week and a half or so for the first sprouts), so it's apparently not unheard
of. Since then they have been VERY slow growing, but that's another issue.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Reston, Virginia, USA