Re:so called N. maxima

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 20:15:44 PST

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:15:44 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:so called N. maxima

Hey Peter!

Trent once again at Richard's place, "borrowing" the WWW. We're supposed
to be working on a new story, but sometimes there are, well, diversions.

So. You seem to have one of these N. "maxima" plants. Mine has nice
large pitchers that are most definitely not maxima. I have three
different varieties of maxima now, and have seen about a zillion
pictures. The peristome, neck, and lid are all wrong. More like a
mirabilis. The red tessellations on the pitcher are maxima-like. So
far, I have only seen lower pitchers, averaging about five inches in
length. It is a handsome, vigorous Nepenthes hybrid.

Jean DeWitte also made comment about giving some seed of N. maxima to
DeRoose, but I doubt if this plant came from that seed.

So far, I haven't raised this "mystery maxima" during the summer, and
that will tell me if it is in any way highland in nature. Right now ,
I'm experiencing 60 degree F nights and 85 degree F days with humidity
between 60 and 80 percent. No heaters, evaporative pads, auto misters.
Al naturale...All Nepenthes are happy.

Hope your friend's visit to Europe answers some questions.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.