N. amphularia and Superthrive

From: Denis Daly (dalymob@bigpond.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 16:38:04 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:38:04 -0800
From: Denis Daly <dalymob@bigpond.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. amphularia and Superthrive

Ron Sbragia
Dear Ron
Bad news, I'm afraid.

Hormones should only be given to plants in minute quantities on
infrequent occasions or they will kill the plant.

If it was OK before you applied lots of superthrive then the
problem could be too much superthrive. (Another reason why it is
important to know exactly what is in superthrive.)
One of the reasons I hesitate to use it besides the expensive> I
don't know what's in it. But I use auxins on Nepenthes.

However if it went crook soon after you got it then it may be
either:
1) A plant that has not been properly rooted after it came out of
tissue culture.
2) A cutting that has not been allowed to form sufficient roots.
                                              See my article on
Buyer Beware under another cover.
3) The stem has rotted off.

Only solution is to take it out of the pot and look at the roots,
feel the stem to see if any section feels hollow (not in a green
section of stem) to confirm this.

Take cuttings immediately. Place cuttings in water until turgor
returns. Put water in pitchers if they are empty.

Slit base of cutting, apply IBA (idole 3 butyric acid. It is an
auxin.) in a gel, leave dry (several hours ... cutting will wilt
again), place in water again for a week to let callus form, then
place cutting into perlite in a wick type self watering pot to
strike. High humidity over green cutting helps.

To reduce leaf surface on the cutting cut out the sides of the
leaf but leave the mid rib and pitcher in place. Put water in
pitcher.

In sydney with a water conductivity of around 180 micro siemens
per cm I would use tap water. But I do not know anything about
your water and so reverse osmosis water is probably needed.

Regards

Denis Daly