Re: N. ventricosa or burkei?

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Feb 01 1998 - 11:03:31 PST

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:03:31 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. ventricosa or burkei?

>N burkei, in my opinion isn't even a subspecies. Just N. ventricosa
with the name
>N. burkei stuck on the label next to it. Now, the plants labelled with
N burkei tend
>to be larger for the same conditions compared with those labelled N
ventricosa, but so >what?

Dave, I would have agreed with you 100% a few weeks ago. Then I saw a
REAL N. burkei. It is in a collection here in south Florida, where it
is now gaining size and producing pitchers with our cool winter nights.
It is a young plant, but is most definitely not a ventricosa, nor does
it look like any of the hybrids I have seen. Leaf/growth habit is like
ventricosa, but the pitchers are different. No doubt it is related, as
are N bellii, and N. merrilliana. I intend to take pictures of it in
another couple of months as the plant gains size. I will also consult
with the owner about where it came from and any other information that
may be useful. We both would have agreed with you about n ventricosa:
ie. burkei is nothing more than a variety of ventricosa. But then this
young plant, a so called N. burkei, began to "grow up". As far as I'm
concerned, at this time, N. burkei is a separate species. It is a one
and only plant, so I am hesitant to name the owner without permission.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida