Spectacular Sarr Hybrid

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 13:07:00 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:07:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Spectacular Sarr Hybrid

At the following URL, you will find a spectacular Sarracenia hybrid:

  http://www.jps.net/cgardner/DaveM-1.jpg.

What you can't see in the picture is that the underside of the hood is
the same color as the rim of the pitcher. Those that went on the field
trip sponsored by the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and ICPS will remember
this plant from a growers' field in south Alabama. Ron Gagliardo said
something about doing some tissue culture with it but I haven't heard if
he did or not.

Now for some fun. Can you guess the parentage or better yet how and in
what order would you breed species and hybrids to get this jewel? Does
this resembe any of the hybrids I see listed occassionally? It's a very
tall plant, on the order of a large flava or leucophylla and the pitcher
at the rim is very large.

Many thanks to Craig for putting this picture on his website.

David