Angie's B. reducta

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 21:32:16 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:32:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Angie's B. reducta

Hi Angie,
        I have had two B. reducta bloom now and report the following. The
tiny flowers rarely open except in bright sunlight, and then it seemed,
only when I was not looking. When I did catch one open, (they did not
open more then one at a time, though there were at least 50 flowers on the
scape, and a dozen scapes on the plant) it would not self. Pollen taken
from one of the basal scape flowers to one of the upper flowers would not
set either. Unfortunatly, the two plants that bloomed missed each other
by about a month so I could not out cross. In my opinion, it is futile to
expect seed. Concentrate on getting pups. If you can, trade off your
surplus for different clones so that you have a better chance of
successful crossing. Good luck, and let me know what happens. This is
one of my favorite plants.
        good growing
        Andrew Marshall