Re: marking labels

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 05:34:00 PST

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:34:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: marking labels

>From Larry Mellichamp,

>Dave, I just looked at your web site. That's a spectauclar photo. The
>plant is CLEARLY Leuco X flava. Notice the dark cut-throat flava
throat.
>This would be from western Florida? (Do you have a slide? Send me a
copy
>and I'll use it in my lecture of SE Sarracenias when I speak at the
>International CP confernece in Bonn in May!)

I don't have slides but can send you pitchers (gawd, I get confused so
easily: pictures). The plant is still where I photographed it. The
plant belongs to Bob Hanrahan here in Atlanta and is somewhere between 3
and 4 feet tall.

I'm seeing something more so please tell me what you think. I think
there's also some alata in there because of the pale yellow on the top
side of the hood. I've seen fields of what I thought were alata where
the hoods are pale yellow with lots of fenestrations and the underside
of the hood is red. I have a couple like that in my bogs, too, that I
bought as alatas but now am not sure if they are true alatas or some
hybrid because Don Schnell doesn't describe alatas as having fenestrated
hoods.

Two things are fascinating with this hybrid: the hood and the fantastic
pink rim on the pitcher. The underside of the hood is not fenestrated
but rather a dark red, which reminds me of the alatas described in the
previous paragraph. Also, I can see pink rims on my leuco's as they
age but never to this degree and not quite so vibrant. It makes me
wonder if one of the parents is a red tube form. Isn't there a red
tubed leuco? I know there are red tubed flavas.

My guess is that one of the parents is red tubed. I'm trying to
remember whether or not red acts as dominant/recessive or whether it's
(and I can't remember the scientific name for it) a multigene
inheritance that allows varying shades. My guess is the later since we
see such variation in red color in pitchers.

When you've seen flava x leuco hybrids, do they ever look like this?
For those who have the flava x leuco cross in your cp collection, do
they look like the one in Craig's website? I find it difficult to
believe that one cross could produce this or maybe I should say
crossing a typcial flava with a typical leuco. What do you think of
this proposal for duplicating this hybrid?

red rugelii flava x leuco
grow it for 5 years
(red rugelii flava x leuco) x alata with pale yellow, fenestrated top
hood and red
         underside hood (and having it with red tubes if alata's come
that way.)
grow it for 5 years you get www.jps.net/cgardner/DaveM-1.jpg.

The order of the cross will certainly affect the outcome, too.

Hybrids don't usually excite me so much since I like exploring the
natural variation that occurs in species. But this one, sorry to go on
like this, but this one takes my breath away.

David

P.S. Larry, thanks for the source of vinyl labels.