Cultivating Sphagnum? (I Just CANT do it!)

From: Richard Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 18:06:08 PST

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 02:06:08 GMT
From: bergrd@valunet.com (Richard Berg)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cultivating Sphagnum? (I Just CANT do it!)

 List,

  I wanted to make public a dilemma I'm having with the cultivation of
sphagnum moss... It seems everything I've done or doing is not at all
working...

  I've tried 3 attempts at trying to grow live moss to add to my
terrarium for my CP's but every time all I get is dead sphagnum after
a few weeks... On my first attempt I just placed some fresh green
sphagnum in my terrarium and basically pushed it into the existing
dead sphagnum... All requirements were met and after about 2 weeks I
had moss that was almost black with some red coloration in the
centers...=20

  My second attempt was to isolate the moss in a smaller 5 1/2 gallon
terrarium with just a little distilled water thinking that it may grow
in 100% water... This just ended up in a black muck and as your know
already, no live sphagnum...

  The third attempt (which I'm still crossing fingers) is to cultivate
some live strands in a 8" pot of plain peat, kept moist and in the
terrarium... Humidity is nearly 100% at all times and temps range from
85 degrees (daytime) to 75 degrees (nighttime)... This has proved
better than the original two methods because after 2 weeks the moss is
still green but shows no evidence of rooting or expanding...=20

  What in the world could I be doing wrong?...I've had great success
with the terrarium and the D. muscipula's I have growing there now...
I'm at wits end on this subject and again look to the wisdom and
knowledge of the masses to help end my pain and suffering ;)

  Please inform me of the wrongful practices or what I could do to
help spur growth in my moss!

  Thanks up front, since it seems I get such a great response and have
trouble replying to everyone who responds! =3D)

                                        ... Richard

Richard Berg
Salem, Ohio

<bergrd@valunet.com>