Re: leaves on VFT

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 20:06:17 PST

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 23:06:17 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: leaves on VFT

> Does anyone have suggestions as to why a Venus Fly-Trap plant would start to
> have very wide leaves with very small traps? Some of the traps are only an
> eigth of an inch long and appear to be malformed.
> JAnge22821

    My first guess is insufficient light. This symptom is almost always
    due to
a lack of proper lighting.

    My second guess is that your plants are in non-acidic soil or have
    been
fertilized with some sort of plant food. VFTs require acidic soil- acid
sand and sphagnum peat moss is best. Do not feed with ANY fertilizer no
matter what you may read elsewhere.

    Also, never, never, never, water VFTs with anything other then rain
    water or
distilled water. (Rain water is always best.)

     If you do think your VFTs are suffering from a lack of proper
     lighting,
move your plant to a sunnier location (if possible). Keep in mind that
while VFTs like a lot of light, they hate to be baked (as often happens
in terraria in direct sunlight.)

    Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Paul