Re: Mellard's favorite hybrid

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 08:49:37 PST

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:49:37 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mellard's favorite hybrid

David wrote regarding s Sarr hybrid:

>I'm seeing something more so please tell me what you think. I think
>there's also some alata in there because of the pale yellow on the >top
side of the hood.

Believe it or not, in form this is a very typical leuco x flava hybrid.
I guess what makes this one prettier than most is the color, and the
color is not too difficult to explain. The red throat of this hybrid is
typical of the 'rugellii' flavas of the FL panhandle. As for the red
rim, there are 'rugellii' flavas in the wild with red rims. Another
feature worth noting is the size. This plant is 3+ feet and has a wide
opening. Flavas and their hybrids are usually the only Sarrs with these
two characteristics. This is an important feature in eliminating alata
as a potential parent.

>I've seen fields of what I thought were alata where the hoods are >pale
yellow with lots of fenestrations and the underside
>of the hood is red.

Do you mean fenestrations or do you mean veining? The only alatas with
fenestrations( "windows") are the Texas forms. It is believed that the
Texas forms are intrabred hybrids with the S.rubra'alabamensis' or
S.leuco genes to explain the presence of fenestrations. Also, the Texas
forms are simply veined and quite typical. The alatas with red under
their hoods are typical of the Mississippi alatas and these alatas
usually have accompanying veining.

>I have a couple like that in my bogs, too, that I bought as alatas >but
now am not sure if they are true alatas or some
>hybrid because Don Schnell doesn't describe alatas as having
>fenestrated hoods.

Check Slack '86.

>Two things are fascinating with this hybrid: the hood and the
>fantastic pink rim on the pitcher. The underside of the hood is not
>fenestrated but rather a dark red, which reminds me of the alatas
>described in theprevious paragraph.

If this plant were grown in less light, the fenestrations( from the
leuco gene) would become obvious. The red under the hood that reminds
you of alata, comes from the flava parent. Many flavas in the Fl
panhandle have a red throat and red veining radiating from the red
throat.

>It makes me wonder if one of the parents is a red tube form. Isn't
>there a red tubed leuco? I know there are red tubed flavas.

There are red tube leucos out there, but it probably isn't a factor in
this hybrid. As I've mentioned, there are 'rugellii' flavas with red
rims.

>I find it difficult to believe that one cross could produce this or
>maybe I should say crossing a typcial flava with a typical leuco.

That is where luck and years of hybridizing experience becomes
important. In this case mother nature came to the FL panhandle and made
this hybrid, since it was found in the wild. How many times have you
seen a flava x purp hybrid? I assume a thousand times. You'll notice
that each is different in it's own subtle way. Some are tall and topple
after the slightest breeze. Others have different veining or no veining.
The possibilities are endless. Dr.Mellichamp has the most beautiful
flava x purp that I have ever seen. He calls the plant 'Black Ankle' and
it looks like it has black ankles. The plant is only 6-8" tall and it
has a beautiful blend of orange to almost black on the back of the
pitcher. As well, the pitcher is very sturdy and never topples.

>What do you think of this proposal for duplicating this hybrid?

You could come close if you select the right parents. Isn't the plant
going to be available from tissue culture? I know that many people(just
like yourself) have been raving about this plant after the conference
and I thought it was mentioned that the plant may be cloned.

>red rugelii flava x leuco
>grow it for 5 years
>(red rugelii flava x leuco) x alata with pale yellow, fenestrated top
>hood and red
> underside hood (and having it with red tubes if alata's come
>that way.)
>grow it for 5 years you get www.jps.net/cgardner/DaveM-1.jpg.

Using alata as a parent would probably take away from the size of the
pitcher and the diameter of the opening. Most alata x leuco hybrids are
short and the hood in no way resembles flava.

>Hybrids don't usually excite me so much since I like exploring the
>natural variation that occurs in species. But this one, sorry to go
>on like this, but this one takes my breath away.

This sounds similar to me. I never liked any Sarr hybrids because I
thought they were mutts, but the hybrids hold the true beauty of the
genus.

Best wishes,
Stefan